Monday, October 22, 2012

Elephant ears that live forever


This elephant ear that was a star in my last post, became something permanent.  I cut leaves, removing the stem and pressed them into my stoneware clay.  I used the largest leaves for the platter and smaller leaves for the plates.  I used hosta leaves for the smaller sauce dishes.  I actually have had the pieces made since back in the summer but have just gotten around to glazing and photographing.  I think it turned out great.  The glaze color reminds me of the natural color.  Greenish blue with darker accents.

I may try the suggestion of doing some concrete stepping stones maybe next year.




And even if you're not into sushi, the set can be used for all kinds of serving.

I think I need a bigger house so I can keep more of my own work.  I would love to keep this set but just don't have room in my kitchen!

5 comments:

  1. Those look great -- so organic. The green/brown glaze reminds me of my mother's Frankoma collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie, these are so cool! You could get a counter top display stand for the set, or maybe a bakers rack.

    You could keep the stepping stones, and they are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful! I can think of a lot of things you could use those for. The smaller one would be cute on a dresser or vanity to put jewelry in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I might have to look for a place if they don't sell out of my shop. But, then, I could make more! LOL!!

      Delete
  4. I love these - what a cool idea! I found you thru Della's blog and now I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and thanks for visiting!!