Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mosaic lamp project



So I started this mosaic lamp project this week.  I used to make them regularly but haven't in a while.  I thought this would be a good chance to take pictures and show the process.  Maybe!  First of all, my pictures were all oriented the wrong way after down loading.  I took them with my Ipod but have done that before and didn't have any problems.  Maybe just the computer gremlins.

I start with old lamp bases I pick up at the thrift store.  I try to get ones that work otherwise I have to replace the socket and cord.  That's not really that hard now that I've done it a few times.

Premixed tile adhesive and grout glopped on with a toothbrush.
Broken pieces of my pottery. Smashed with a hammer and  broken up with tile nippers. I like to think of it as pots that have found a new life!


Tile adhesive waiting for pieces of pottery
I use these flat marbles to fill in  hard  to work with places like around the bottom and just for added  color.
Added to the base



This is after grouting with the same tile adhesive.  Smeared on with a toothbrush and after letting it set up, I wipe it off, wipe it off, wipe it off, scrub it off until the pieces are clean.


 

The lamp shade is a whole other project.  I do them after the lamps are done so I know what colors of papers and bead trim to use.  I use mulberry and tissue paper applied with Mod Podge.  Wear gloves or your fingers will be peeling glue for days!  For that matter, I wear gloves for the whole process!




And this is the finished result.  I used mostly earth tones and greens on the pottery pieces, greens, beige and textured mulberry papers with green fringe bead trim.  The bead trim satisfies my inner hippie!  It took about 5 days from start to finish.  I think it turned out nicely.

5 comments:

  1. What a neat lamp! Interesting to see the whole process. My one attempt at mosaic was not very successful. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! You are a lady of many talents, and have a great eye for color. That lamp and shade are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I have nominated/awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Pop on over to my blog- www.catsceramics.co.uk for more info x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Five days is a lot of project! But I'd say it was worth it because it looks great. I've never done anything like this before.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and thanks for visiting!!