Sunday, March 18, 2012

Oh my aching back...NOT!

I've been suffering with low back pain for months(years) now.  I've been to the pain clinic and will start on PT next week and am doing a round of steroids right now.  I'm noticeably  better from the steroids.  I also got a new Tem-pur-pedic mattress.  Talk about sleeping on a cloud.  A firm cloud but it's perfect!  It's also higher than my old bed so I can just put my feet on the floor and stand.  No leaning over.

The next trick was to do something about the height of my wheel.  I asked for opinions on my Etsy Mud Team thread and got lots of good advise about throwing standing up. Particularly where the wheel would be in relation to my height.  About belly button level was the general consensus. So I asked my husband if we had any blocks and could we raise it up to experiment.  I was thinking standing up.

My husband, who is not a potter, pondered on it for while and put it up on blocks as you see in the pictures.  At first, I thought that wouldn't do anything.  It's only 8".  Until I sat down to throw.  It's actually the perfect height.  I sit more forward, bending at the hips, not the waist.  I'm in the same position as if I were standing with my arms resting on the splash pan.

I threw for an hour yesterday and again today.  I still had a twinge in my back but nothing like before.  I could actually stand up straight after I got finished.  YAY!!!






The irony of the whole thing is he messed his back up while trying to help mine.  Sorry, Dear!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are getting some help with the pain. I've been on steroids for 4 years, and they have made a huge difference in my life.

    Every little thing we can do for some relief is very appreciated!

    Hope your husband feels better soon. Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and thanks for visiting!!